Monday, February 2, 2015

Recently Read - Gone Girl

Gone Girl
by 
Gillian Flynn



Description

THE #1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLEROn a warm summer morning in North Carthage, Missouri, it is Nick and Amy Dunne’s fifth wedding anniversary. Presents are being wrapped and reservations are being made when Nick’s clever and beautiful wife disappears. Husband-of-the-Year Nick isn’t doing himself any favors with cringe-worthy daydreams about the slope and shape of his wife’s head, but passages from Amy's diary reveal the alpha-girl perfectionist could have put anyone dangerously on edge. Under mounting pressure from the police and the media—as well as Amy’s fiercely doting parents—the town golden boy parades an endless series of lies, deceits, and inappropriate behavior. Nick is oddly evasive, and he’s definitely bitter—but is he really a killer? 

***************_______________***************


I decided to pick up Gone Girl for a couple of reasons. 

One - it's been made into a movie that seems interesting to me. (UPDATE:  I just watched the movie and made the hubby watch it with me. It was great to see the look on his face when we reached the Part Two part of the book come to life on the screen. I had to spend a good fifteen minutes after the movie ended to fill him in on a lot MORE crazy that wasn't on the screen. Still, the movie was probably pretty good even if you don't know all the extras. Nothing compared to the book - as is the usual outcome.)

Two - the reviews of the book are very intense. Some say it's horrid, some say it's great. Most say they hated the ending. I HAD to know.

I assumed, because of the reviews, I probably wouldn't like the book. I'm glad I tried it anyway. I really liked the book. It wasn't fun or happy, but it was very interesting and kept me wondering. It's a bit deranged and without giving out spoilers, I can say it's an interesting romp through crazy.

The book isn't overly gory or vulgar, but it definitely is an adult read. It takes us through a fairly typical, if slightly unhappy, marriage. Though I have (or seem to have) a great relationship with my husband, I can see how the marriage between Nick and Amazing Amy evolved into what it did.

As for the ending - you'll have to read the book or watch the movie to find out the ending. I'll just say that though most of the reviews I read said they hated the ending, I think it was appropriate to the story. Even if it was... let's just say - the way it is.















http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gone-girl-gillian-flynn/1105608095?ean=9780307588388




http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/gone-girl-gillian-flynn/1105608095?ean=9780553418361




2 comments:

  1. I just had to stop in and say hi. Hope yall are doing well with all this cold weather. It's dropped to 43 here in Tampa, and that has Floridians walking around shaking their heads, fearing the world is coming to an end. No way can I step outside to walk the pups. Can't be healthy on the lungs out there, right? Oh, this is horrible. Will we survive.

    Hope the girls are doing dandy. Hugs to Hubs.

    How's the writing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi!!!

      Hope you are getting a ton of writing done!

      We are going to hit 41 today. No coats and back to flip flops. :-D I'm so excited. We did hit the mid 70's a week or so ago. It was crazy and I had to fight the spring fever. I wanted to go till up some ground and get something planted. I'm aching for some green. It's actually been a fairly mild winter.

      Some icy fog rolled in a couple days ago. It was gorgeous. Everything was coated with beautiful white ice. Unfortunately, it made for some treacherous driving conditions and there were several accidents.

      I think you'll survive down in Florida. But, if you feel the end of the world is coming, get your body up here and I'll protect you. Haha. Or, watch a show that centers around Alaska. That should cure your worries. :-D

      The girls are doing great. The first grader is about to celebrate the 100th day of school for the year and the freshman made the merit roll and got perfect attendance for the first semester (I'm so very proud of her, but she could have gotten high honors - she has it in her. We struggled with her about the middle of the semester because she wasn't getting her work done. She took on too much - drama, band, choir, and anything else that came her way. We made her drop drama and her grades have greatly improved.)

      The hubby was handed a layoff notice the first part of January. He'll be jobless as of the end of February. He does have a job offer, so I hope he doesn't have to take too much of a pay cut. We can't afford it.

      As for my writing - I'm working on #6. I was making really good progress for the first several chapters and then I backed off a bit to try and keep up on household stuff. I need to get back to it and have started by scheduling a couple of blog posts. I've got my butt in the chair today. We'll see if I can make some good progress today. If I can get #6 out it will definitely help if my hubby does have to take a pay cut.

      I'd like to try to introduce myself to some new characters. Not sure I will. I really do like my colors. But, it's an option.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments.