Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Currently Reading - I Used to Think I Was Not That Bad...

I Used to Think 
I Was Not That Bad 
and Then 
I Got to Know Me Better
by
Dorothy Rosby



Description
Empathy for people who read self-improvement books but never get any better. (Also for the people who sincerely wish they would.)

About the Author
Dorothy Rosby is a syndicated humor columnist whose work appears in newspapers in eleven Western and Midwestern states, as well as in local and national magazines. Her column has been recognized by the South Dakota Newspaper Association, the South Dakota Federation of Press Women, and the National Federation of Press Women.


Let me start off this post with a disclaimer.  I personally know Dorothy Rosby. She's a member of a couple of writing groups I'm also a member of. She is a really neat lady.  Now that you know that you can choose to believe the raving I'm about to do is because I know her, but I will tell you with the utmost sincerity that is not so. Dorothy Rosby is an amazing author who speaks my language.

I haven't finished the book yet at the time of scheduling this post, but I am enjoying every single word I've read so far. This book has lifted my spirits over and over the past few weeks. I'm taking my time with this one because it is several stand-alone articles and I can stop easily anywhere throughout the book and I won't lose my momentum for the story. Plus, it's definitely one I don't want to end just yet. I'm savoring it and not rushing through. It's the perfect book for any moment. If you want to sit down and read it from cover to cover it flows quickly and easily. If you're like me, you might just want it to last a little longer and read it in between other books so you can make the journey last a little bit longer.

Dorothy Rosby is a syndicated humor columnist and is published in several different magazines as well as newspapers. Unfortunately, I don't know which media outlets carry her column. Before reading this book I'd only been privileged to hear her read her own work. Let me tell you, I was impressed before starting to read her book (a compilation of her columns), but as I read I become more and more impressed with her talent and even more so with her as a person.  

I Used to Think I Was Not That Bad and Then I Got to Know Me Better is just plain perfect. You should be able to tell that from the title alone - I love the title!

I'll give you an example of how great she is with an excerpt from her Introduction (you should be able to read this for yourself if you go onto Amazon and read the sample.)

It's hard to be a humor writer. I know what you're saying. You're saying, "How would you know?" (See what I mean? Immediately she gets us going.) And that's one of the hard parts. Humor is very subjective. Just because you didn't find something I wrote funny doesn't mean no one else did, although it's certainly possible no one else did. (Hee hee)

I would definitely recommend this one to anyone. In fact, I've been reading it out loud to my husband and children (ages 14, 7 and 5). My fourteen-year-old asked me the other day, after I expressed some displeasure with her father, if I wanted a duplex - a joke Dorothy makes about married couples. This book has made an impression on all of us and we aren't even finished with the book.  If you enjoy humor at all, this book is a great addition to your library!













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.