Friday, June 20, 2014

Epic Virginia Trip (Part Two)


For anyone who missed Part One to my vacation blog, here's a link:  Epic Virginia Trip (Part One)

For those of you who read the first part you already know this was quite the experience for me.  After taking three days to drive to our destination, Newport News, Virginia, we spent Saturday and Sunday playing tourist with the oldest, her brother, and our precious, new grandbaby.

DAY FOUR AND FIVE


We toured around the area for only two days.  Not even close to enough time to see much, but we made the most of the time and saw what we could.

Saturday we went to Virginia's Living Museum.  It was great for the kids as well as the adults.  It is a hands on museum and the kids were able to interact with the exhibits.  For any of you in the Newport News area or those who are going to be in the area, I'd recommend it.  I've made the name clickable.  It should take you right to the site, so you can see for yourself what they have to offer.

Saturday afternoon we went to a beach in Hampton, VA.  The kids got to swim and I froze.  The wind coming in off the water was cold.  We were on the beach near the Grandville Island Grill.  We didn't go inside the building, but I was told they had really good food.  I was unable to find a website, but I did find a Facebook page for the Grandville Island Grill.  If you click the name it should take you straight to the page, if you're interested.

I've been to Oregon and saw the Pacific Ocean.  But, something I've always regretted, I never tasted the water.  I'd been told the ocean tastes like a glass of salt water.  I just couldn't put it together until I tasted it myself.  It sure does taste like a glass of salt water.  Not a whole lot of difference, except where you are when you taste it.  The first thing I did when we got down to the water's edge in Hampton was to reach down, touch the water and TASTE it.  Ick!  I'm very glad I did it, though.  It's like childbirth.  I'm glad I've had the experience.  I probably won't do it on purpose ever again, though.

Sunday we were going to go pick strawberries, but time got away from us so we decided to go to the Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center in Virginia Beach.  It was amazing and another great thing for kids and adults to do together.  After the museum we ended up on the fishing pier.  We ate at Ocean Eddie's.  The food was amazing!  Then we spent some time walking around Virginia Beach.  We didn't get into the water (we hadn't planned on going to the beach and didn't bring our swim suits.)  But, we did play in the sand on the beach.

Virginia Beach is someplace I really hope to go back to someday.

Saturday - Virginia's Living Museum, and Beach in Hampton, VA near the Grandville Island Grill
The Living Museum was great!  They had an indoor museum as well as an outdoor area with all kinds of flora and fauna.  I have a thing for trees, so I took pictures of every different one they had (lots of them that we don't have up here in South Dakota.)  I'm sharing a couple of them with you.  They also had coyotes (we have those here) and red wolves (we don't have those.)  PLUS, they had DINOSAURS!  They had several exhibits in which the dinosaurs moved.  We all loved it.



Coyotes at Virginia's Living Museum
Red Wolves at Virginia's Living Museum


 The short walk to the beach was fun.  I saw several beautiful houses and the neatest plants.  I also snapped a picture of the Grandville Island Grill.  I kinda wish we would have stopped in.  Oh well.










Like I'd said, we planned on picking strawberries, but time got away from us.  I was disappointed, but the day we did have more than made up for not getting strawberries.  We drove under the ocean to get to Virginia Beach.  The tunnel was pretty neat and very cool, temperature wise.

When we got to Virginia Beach there was some kind of air show going on.  A jet kept flying by the beach at a very low altitude.  It was LOUD and AMAZING!  I tried to get it on video, but just couldn't manage, and by the time we found a place to park, the show was over.

The Virginia Aquarium and Marine Science Center was very hands on, just like Virginia's Living Museum.  We all had a great time and I got some fairly decent pictures (fairly.)  



Ocean Eddie's was quite the treat.  We started out sitting outside, but the cool breeze was too much for most of us.  We moved inside after we ordered.  Here are some of the dishes we ate.  SO GOOD!



















 I'm going to leave you all with this and will, hopefully, get to Part Three real soon.  I REALLY want to show you all some of our pictures from the trip home.  We took our time, so I had more time to pay attention to my camera.




1 comment:

  1. You know you had me with the trees. I love trees. Those sunset shots were great too. I'm glad you had a nice time...wish you'd had more than two days. The time goes by too fast, eh?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.