Thursday, February 20, 2014

Ender’s Game - The Game to End All Games


Ender's Game


Based on the book, Ender's Game
by
Orson Scott Card

Rated PG-13
Runtime: 114 min
Starring:  Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield, and Hailee Steinfeld


I rented this movie from Amazon Prime.  When I first saw the movie it was the presence of Harrison Ford that drew me in.  He’s one of my all time favorite actors.

Ender’s Game is based on the book by the same title written by Orson Scott Card.  The book won both the Hugo and Nebula Awards.  It is now on my To Be Read list.  I can only imagine the depth the book covers that doesn’t translate well to the big screen.

Orson Scott Card has written five in the series and I believe this is just the first story in the series.  If they make more movies I will be watching them.  Yet, the story is so well done it is open for sequels and stands alone very well.

In the movie we find ourselves thrust into a futuristic world where the government is breeding and training children to be soldiers.  They are in search of the one that will “save us all” from the bug like race, the Formics.

The main focus of Ender’s Game is walking us through Ender’s trials as he makes his way up the ranks toward battle school. The movie touches on Ender’s relationship with his sadistic brother, Peter, who didn’t make the cut for being a soldier and Ender’s sister Valentine, who holds a special place in Ender’s heart.  She didn’t make the cut either.  The reasons for his siblings no longer being in the program are not explained very well in the movie, but it doesn’t seem central to the movie plot.  (This is something I’d read the books for.)


All in all, I really liked this movie.  I’d recommend this for your older kids, thirteen and up, because it probably won’t hold the attention of the younger ones.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.