Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Recently Read - Divergent Series

Divergent - Insurgent - Allegiant
by
Veronica Roth





 Divergent: One choice can transform you. Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times bestselling debut is a gripping dystopian tale of electrifying choices, powerful consequences, unexpected romance, and a deeply flawed "perfect society.



 Insurgent: One choice can destroy you. Veronica Roth's second #1 New York Times bestseller continues the dystopian thrill ride. As war surges in the factions all around her, Tris attempts to save those she loves—and herself—while grappling with haunting questions of grief and forgiveness, identity and loyalty, politics and love.




 Allegiant: The explosive conclusion to Veronica Roth's #1 New York Times bestselling Divergent trilogy reveals the secrets of the dystopian world that has captivated millions of readers.




I recently read this trilogy.  Okay, I listened to them as audio books.  I try to make it my policy to only review books I enjoyed.  My reasons are many and mostly self serving.  Because of this I almost passed up doing a review for these books.  After a few days of digesting the full story, I must admit, even if these books won't make me swoon, cheer, or cry, I will always remember them.

Though I won't be gushing about this series, overall, I don't feel I wasted my time getting through them.  The story is given to us from Tris' point of view and I started off really enjoying the character.  I was completely caught up in Divergent and finished listening to it in record time - seriously.  (Not far into the book I turned up the speaking speed so I could get through it and start Insurgent.)

I kept up the speed through Insurgent, but started to lose interest as the relationship between Tris and Tobias developed.  I really didn't like Tobias.

Please, don't send emails to tell me how stupid I am because I didn't like Tobias.  I know this series is a big one for a lot of people.  Just not for me.  I'm allowed to crush on whomever I choose and leave some behind.  Tobias is one I would walk past.  I'm sure he wouldn't give me a second glance either. (It's always fun to talk about fictional characters as if we'd see them on the street.)

By the time I got to Allegiant I was still hopeful.  Allegiant deviates from Tris' point of view and includes Tobias' voice.  I liked this addition.  But, more insight into Tobias' inner workings didn't help me like him.

I want to avoid spoilers, so I'll say that a very important event happens near the end of Allegiant and I should have had a very strong emotional response, but I didn't. This is a strong indicator that the books didn't work their way into my heart, just my mind.

Now, having said all that mean stuff - I did finish the full series.  This says a lot.  If I don't enjoy a book I put it down.  Some people have to finish what they start - I don't.















































 
 












No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.