Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Whatever Wednesday - Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

Tis the season for rhubarb!
I recently bought some rhubarb at our local Farmer's Market 
and made a strawberry rhubarb cobbler.  I've posted cobbler recipes here before and this is still the basic recipe with different fruits.





Strawberry Rhubarb Cobbler

Ingredients:

4 1/2 cups chopped rhubarb (I eyeballed this)

1 1/2 cups strawberries.  Fresh sliced strawberries would be best.  (I used a 14 oz. package of frozen strawberries)

1/2 cup sugar (The next time I make this recipe I will up this to maybe as much as 1 cup)

1 Tablespoon corn starch

CRUST:

1 cup flour

2 teaspoon baking powder

3/4 cup white sugar

3/4 cup milk

1/4 cup butter


Instructions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Melt 1/4 cup butter and pour into the bottom of a 9x9 baking dish (I have no idea what size the dish I used was, but I think it's actually a casserole dish.  If you think the ingredients will fit - go for it.  However, I put a cookie sheet on the rack below the cobbler just in case it spilled over - it didn't.)

Mix together the rhubarb, strawberries, sugar and corn starch.  Let this sit for a while to get a bit juicy.

Mix together the flower, baking powder, sugar and milk.  (cobbler batter)

Pour the cobbler batter over the butter.  Do not stir.  

Pour the fruit mixture over the batter.  Do not stir.

Bake for one hour or until golden brown.


I served this as is, but it would be really good with whipped cream or ice cream.

1 comment:

Thank you for your comments.