Friday, June 7, 2013

Four Hour Landscaping Project

For those of you who follow me on Facebook you might have already seen most of these pictures - but I'm still pretty proud of our accomplishment so I thought I'd create a blog post.

My husband and I created this little walkway area in four hours!


The first three pictures are the before pictures.

My mother and I put this together more than ten years ago.
It's an old ladder and an old bench that we didn't want to throw away,
but didn't know what to use them for.
This is the front view.  I have a grape on the left side,
a clematis and a small rose on the right side.

This is the view from the side with the clematis and rose.
We planted two bigger rose bushes near the back side earlier this spring.

This is the back side.
I had pots all around it that I'd fill with flowers like petunias.
You can see the new roses a little better from this view.

These next set of pictures are the steps we took.

This is how I landscape.
My hubby is doing all that hard work.
He's getting rid of all the excess dirt for our design.

This is after we've put in the base for design.
Under the dirt we've got a layer of weed resistent paper.
Then we put in the rock and dirt that goes under the pavers.

Here is my hubby trying to decide on a pattern.
We didn't have enough pavers to do what we initially planned.
Fine by me - I like this pattern even better.

The pattern is complete and the mulch is in.

One of the last things - add the pea gravel.
I rubbed it down in with my hands and
the hubby got to sweep it around afterward.

This is what we did to the area.
This view is from the side with the grape.
We added a small water fountain, a lily and a delphinium to this side.

This is the front view.
It is still its crooked old self, but I think it looks a lot better.
You can see the delphinium and lilies on either side and I'm considering adding in more.

This is the side with the clematis.
I've added in two more clematis in hopes they will fill out the trellis in short order.
They are already starting to bloom.
I also added another lily and delphinium to this side.


This is our four hour project that I'm very proud of.  I've never done anything like this before and it is extremely fulfilling to be able to see such a huge change in our yard centerpiece.  I'm considering putting up some full hanging baskets from the middle of the structure.  However, the vegetable garden needs a little attention, now.

2 comments:

  1. I find a lot of gratification in my own gardening, even if its just a newly mowed lawn. I wish I had your hills in the background.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get a kick out of mowing, too. It makes everything look so nice and it smells so good! We are very fortunate to live where we do. I marvel at it almost every day. I'd have a tough time of it if we ever had to move away.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments.