Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Whatever Wednesday - Glorified Rice Recipe

If you're here just for the recipe all you need to do is scroll down to the bottom of this post.

 It has been a few weeks since I did a real Whatever Wednesday post and I still don't have much to talk about and no photos to share.

I'm writing this Thanksgiving weekend so I'm going to begin with Thanksgiving talk.

I hope everyone had a wonderful day even if you don't celebrate Thanksgiving.  I had a wonderful day with my family.  It was nice and relaxed.  Thanksgiving has always been one of my favorite holidays.  We spend the entire day together eating, watching movies, picking on each other and just being a family.

This year, as every year, we did the traditional menu with the turkey as the centerpiece.

I have the most wonderful husband and he's the one who does the turkey - shhhhhh.  I don't advertise that fact very often.

Here is my list for the table:

Turkey
Ham
Homemade buns
Glorified Rice
Corn
Sweet Potatoes
Mashed Potatoes
Gravy
Stuffing
Deviled Eggs
Cherry Pie
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie
Chocolate Mousse Pie
Dump Cake


This is a short list - it seems the list somehow becomes smaller every year and I don't know what I've omitted.  No one else seems to remember what I keep forgetting either, so it's all good.

There are a few stories behind my list that I'm going to share with you, even if you don't want me to.

Like I said, my husband makes the turkey and usually does two.  He makes the plain old turkey (the bigger one) and then does a honey basted one for just us.  They are both very good, but the honey basted one doesn't make very good gravy.  This year, the turkeys were perfect, so nothing more to report there.

The ham.... what can I say... Uhmmmm... Okay, we usually buy a Black Forest ham from Sams Club but I didn't get into Sams in time and didn't get the brand we like so we ended up at Wal-Mart.  They had several to choose from but most of them were processed hams.  You know, the block of chopped up and put back together into a form hams.  They are okay for things like potato soup and other mixed in and chopped up meals, but for a hunk of ham on the plate, I like a better textured ham, hence, the Black Forest.  I found one that looked like a real ham so I bought it and brought it home.  THEN I forgot to cook it, so I brought it over to my dads in the bag and set it on the counter top for them to look at.  We had ham!  Is it my fault they didn't eat it?  (Yes, but I'm still going to blame that on them, it was there for them.)

Sweet potaotes.  I don't eat sweet potatoes.  I don't like sweet potatoes.  I have no idea how to cook sweet potatoes.  Having said all that, my dad LOVES sweet potatoes and Thanksgiving is the only time of year he gets them.  He says I do okay with cooking them and if they were horrible I think he'd tell me. 

My oldest daughter did the deviled eggs this year and did a WONDERFUL job with them.  They were gone before the meal really began.

And, my biggest mistake this year... the buns.  They turned out beautifully, but I made enough to feed my entire town.  I cheat and buy frozen bread dough.  This year I bought some that were already shaped into buns and all I really had to do was set them out on a tray to rise and then bake.  Plus, I bought two packages with 3 loaves in them and then found, at a different store, a better deal with 5 loaves to a package so I bought those.  I had intended to put some of them in the freezer for later use, but left them out over night.  When I got up the next morning they had all risen, including the premade buns and I had to cook them ALL.  That's sixteen loaves of bread and 24 premade buns!  We will all be eating lots of bread for the next couple of days.  LOTS of bread!  I'd offer to send you some, but by the time you read this (no preservatives) I imagine they will have gone bad or I will have frozen them.

Since I haven't done this for a while, I'm going to give you a recipe and I know I haven't shared this one.  I've never seen it in a cookbook, but it might be very common.  All I know is the only time I've ever seen this dish is when my mother made it special for ME at Thanksgiving.  Again, this is one of those dishes that we only make for Thanksgiving - the Glorified Rice.


Glorified Rice

This is a very simple recipe.  I usually make it a day before Thanksgiving.  I'm sorry I don't have any pictures but my girls like this so much it was almost completely gone as soon as it was made.  We didn't bring over a full bowl to the table on Thanksgiving.

Ingredients

Rice
Lemon Jell-O
Crushed Pineapple
Cool Whip

First, cook the rice and let it cool.  I always guess at the amount of rice, but this year I used three cups.  I could have added one or two more cups and it would still have been good.  I also cheated and used Minute Rice because I seem to always burn the other.  I still managed to stick a lot of the Minute Rice to the bottom of the pan.  Also, I only let it cool as long as it takes to make the Jell-O and then I add it right in.

Next, make your Lemon Jell-O.  I used two 8 oz. packages and just made the Jell-O according to the package directions in the bowl that I was going to make the entire dish in.  I use a fairly large bowl.

Dump in the crushed pineapple into the Jell-O and add the rice.  Mix it well and the "wet" Jell-O should help break up the rice nicely. 

Then put it all in the refrigerator long enough to let the Jell-O set up.  I usually add the Cool Whip the day I plan to serve it.

I imagine you can mix and match with this recipe by using a different flavor of Jell-O, maybe even a different fruit.  Experiment and have fun!  I bet it would be good with strawberry jello and strawberries!  Oooh - I think I might try that!  I'll break tradition and make Glorified Rice for something other than Thanksgiving.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.