Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Whatever Wednesday - Canning

Fall.  I used to be strictly a summer girl but as I grow older I realize all the great virtues of each season.  Look at some of the things that fall brings.

 We went to the farmer's market this past Saturday and spent a whole bunch of money.  We bought a HUGE pumpkin.  If you look closely, you'll see a one ounce shot glass for comparison.



I brought it to my dad's bar called The Barn.  I'm letting people guess how much it weighs so I can't tell you anything more than that thing is HEAVY. 

We ended up buying a whole lot of produce.  In the picture below you can see these from left to right and the front row first.  A pinkish pumpkin, some Sweet 16 apples (SO GOOD), another pumpkin that's supposed to be really good for bread.  The back row is nothing but tomatoes, twenty-five pounds of red and 25 pounds of orange. 


I am writing this post on Sunday for public viewing on Wednesday and have only just processed the tomatoes.  I'm hoping to make the bread soon, but pumpkins keep a very long time. 

So, onto what I did on Sunday.  My daughter and I canned 17 quarts and one pint of tomatoes.


2 comments:

  1. Brings back memories of watching my grandmother can the goodies from her vegetable garden, back in the fifties.

    Thanks for the memory.

    - Mac

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's becoming a lost art and it definitely doesn't save a family as much money as it should anymore. But, the food is so much better and probably better for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.