Thursday, September 27, 2012

Recently Read - Wool by Hugh Howey



Description

Thousands of them have lived underground. They've lived there so long, there are only legends about people living anywhere else. Such a life requires rules. Strict rules. There are things that must not be discussed. Like going outside. Never mention you might like going outside.

Or you'll get what you wish for.




I've heard a lot of talk about Hugh Howey on the author circuit and a lot of talk about his title, Wool. 

The type of talk I've been hearing is about personal observations of Hugh Howey or general statements about the story like...   "I really liked it," or "It was okay," or even some "Not my favorite."  

I've not had any personal contact with Hugh Howey through my circles so I have no stories to relate.  Nor had I done any research on the book.  But, I figured it was time.  

I went to Amazon and purchased a copy and started reading.  I knew nothing of the story and the cover didn't really pull me in, I was reading as research.  It's horrible of me, but I didn't even read the book description, so I had no idea what kind of book I'd be reading.

It didn't take me long to realize that this was a sci-fi story and I like sci-fi!  Howey did a great job of making me want to keep reading.  What was going to happen next?  I even caught myself thinking, I really should go to sleep, I have to get up early in the morning.  Just a little more.

That just a little more lasted for about an hour.  At the end of that hour I had finished reading the story.  The book is not a book.  If I had done my research, I'm sure I would have known that, so that admission is not a complaint.

I thoroughly enjoyed the short story.  Obviously it kept me interested enough to finish the entire thing, even when I thought I'd have several hundred pages to read I just couldn't quit until I knew.

Now I know and I'm very happy I took the time to read Wool and would recommend it as a good story.  I think it's only 99¢ at Amazon.

Click here to buy your copy at Amazon for Kindle


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.