Thursday, September 20, 2012

Recently Read - No Easy Day by Mark Owen


Description

For the first time anywhere, the first-person account of the planning and execution of the Bin Laden raid from a Navy Seal who confronted the terrorist mastermind and witnessed his final moment
From the streets of Iraq to the rescue of Captain Richard Phillips in the Indian Ocean, and from the mountaintops of Afghanistan to the third floor of Osama Bin Laden’s compound, operator Mark Owen of the U.S. Naval Special Warfare Development Group — commonly known as SEAL Team Six — has been a part of some of the most memorable special operations in history, as well as countless missions that never made headlines.

No Easy Day
puts readers alongside Owen and the other handpicked members of the twenty-four-man team as they train for the biggest mission of their lives. The blow-by-blow narrative of the assault, beginning with the helicopter crash that could have ended Owen’s life straight through to the radio call confirming Bin Laden’s death, is an essential piece of modern history.

In No Easy Day, Owen also takes readers onto the field of battle in America’s ongoing War on Terror and details the selection and training process for one of the most elite units in the military. Owen’s story draws on his youth in Alaska and describes the SEALs’ quest to challenge themselves at the highest levels of physical and mental endurance. With boots-on-the-ground detail, Owen describes numerous previously unreported missions that illustrate the life and work of a SEAL and the evolution of the team after the events of September 11. In telling the true story of the SEALs whose talents, skills, experiences, and exceptional sacrifices led to one of the greatest victories in the War on Terror, Mark Owen honors the men who risk everything for our country, and he leaves readers with a deep understanding of the warriors who keep America safe.


My Thoughts:

I am a very patriotic person.  I am proud to be a citizen of the United States of America and I think our military is one of the most important aspects of our country.  Every time I see a man or woman in uniform I have an overwhelming sense of admiration and truly believe it is well placed.

This book is in the middle of some very important controversy.  They are saying it includes secrets that should not have been given out.

I don't have enough information to know if that is true or not.  Except for specific details about the Bin Laden mission, I think I could have come up with all the same information, had I done my research, and actually knew about most of the information he put into the book because of my research for my books.

Having said all that, I hope this book does not give away any secrets to foreign powers or "bad guys" that will use the information against our men and women who are serving our country. 

I hate to admit it, but I'm a slow reader.  Something always seems to come up while I'm reading a book.  Some books get put aside until I can get back to them and some books are never picked up again and yet, there are a few that are never put down until I finish reading them.  This is one of the few that I just could not put down.  I even bought the audio version so I could listen as I read so I'd retain more of what was in the book.

Not only does the author(s) talk about missions and training, he does it in a way to pull you in and keep you there.  The book is a very personal account of what it's like to be a SEAL.  The pride and personalities that make our military the best in the world make this book very interesting. 

I definitely recommend giving this book a shot.

Click here to buy this book from Amazon for Kindle



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.