Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Custer State Park and Beyond in a Day and a Half!


We are always very busy in the summer.  This year isn't any different but we have been getting out and about every once in a while.

My husband and I took our three girls camping this past weekend.  We were only able to stay one night but we all had a great time.

We spent most of our time in Custer State Park - Why not?  We bought a year pass.

As we were driving into the park we came upon a traffic jam and were excited to see what was causing it.  It didn't take long to figure out it was a few buffalo with their calves.  They weren't in any hurry to move out of the road so I decided to take some pictures.


 Not much further up the road we saw this deer.  I find the deer a much more worthy traffic stopper.  The buffalo are easy to find and photograph, the deer, on the other hand, like to run away as soon as they see you.

We saw this sweet little group at Stockade Lake.  
Momma and her four little ducklings.  

From my quick little research stint on 
"How to tell the difference between a male and female grackle," 
I'm somewhat convinced this beauty is female because 
her head isn't as iridescent as the others in the neighborhood.

 My girls found this egg shell on the ground up in the trees.  
It was a fairly large egg (bigger than a chicken egg).  
I looked up some eggs and have decided it is more than likely 
a turkey egg, but could be a golden eagle egg.

What is a camping trip without some type of risk?
Boring!
I spiced up the pictures with the danger of being stung.
This little bee was just the prettiest thing on the prettiest flowers.
Double the danger!
Not only are the flowers pretty - they look an awful lot like water hemlock.
I'm not certain this is actually hemlock, but I certainly won't be tasting it any time soon.
If the flowers were in a flatter format, I'd be more convinced.


 The Cathedral Spires on The Needles Highway


 Sylvan Lake in Custer State Park.  
Parts of National Treasure: Book of Secrets was filmed here.

 Even though these tunnels make me nervous 
(this is one of three), I still think they are cool.


I took over 300 pictures over the course of our day and a half outing.  A lot of them are close-ups.  I love close-ups.  I will save those for another post, though.





2 comments:

  1. Look at you with that new camera.

    I don't know how I missed this post last week...oh I know...I was so messed up when my computer got zapped by lightning that day.

    I love ducks, birds, critters that fly, walk and crawl. Keep the camera thing going. Loving it

    *wink*

    Mac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm LOVING my new camera!

      I can tell you, you probably missed it because you aren't used to me posting more than one post in a month. (I've been blog slacking lately)

      I'm still fighting with my computer that was zapped back in May. I've taken it to Best Buy and a friend who retrieves data as a day job. No one will touch a Mac. Too bad for me that I don't care for our local Apple store or I'd have taken it there right away. It might be my only choice other than shipping the entire thing off to Apple. I might just have to suck it up. :-( I NEED that data. The only pictures of my baby when she was brand new are on that computer, nine chapters for the 4th book in my series, other story ideas and the list goes on. I'm so distraught.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments.