Friday, March 16, 2012

Fifty Shades of Grey vs. Shades of Grey

VS.
 




I have seen a run on sales this month for my second book in The Alexis Stanton Chronicles, Shades of Grey.  This never happens and I thought for a fleeting second that maybe, just maybe, I was getting noticed by a larger audience. 

(I'm not at all complaining about my current audience - I have made more friends because of my books than I ever thought possible - it's just quite intimate and I don't need to hire someone to go through my email like some famous authors do.)

So, being me, I started trying to figure out what was really going on.  Why in the world was I making so many sales - and for my second book in the series?

Well, I found my answer.  There is a book titled Fifty Shades of Grey that has gone viral.  It was written up in the NY Times and I think it was on the Today show - one of those big morning shows.

This explains why my sales have seen such a huge boost.  But, I'm concerned.  What if all these people downloading and buying my paperbacks (yes, my paperbacks have seen a huge jump as well) think they are buying this other title?  I don't want to disappoint, even if it is no fault of mine.

Fifty Shades of Grey is an erotica book and mine is NOT.  Yes, there is a bit of tension in my books, but nothing that could be considered erotica.  My dad reads my books!

I have to admit, this push has been fun and I even made Amazon's Movers and Shakers list.
I've decided to put the two books up here for comparison - just because.  I don't post erotica to my blog (as a general rule) but the cover to Fifty Shades of Grey isn't at all racy but be warned - I have not read this title and from what I've heard, it is not appropriate for under 18.


Description

New job. New name. New assignment.

When Alexis Stanton, a.k.a. Ms. Grey, is assigned to uncover the true identity of the infamous sniper Penumbra, she's also expected to protect the business mogul next on the assassin's hit list.

The one person who holds the key to the sniper's true identity warns Alex not to dig any deeper. Penumbra has never missed his mark and will take out anyone who gets in the way. 
 

Description

When literature student Anastasia Steele is drafted to interview the successful young entrepreneur Christian Grey for her campus magazine, she finds him attractive, enigmatic and intimidating. Convinced their meeting went badly, she tries to put Grey out of her mind - until he happens to turn up at the out-of-town hardware store where she works part-time. Erotic, amusing, and deeply moving, the Fifty Shades Trilogy is a tale that will obsess you, possess you, and stay with you forever.
 

14 comments:

  1. Ha, JC - I totally thought she stole your title when I read some of the buzz! And FYI - 50 Shades of Grey started as Twilight fanfic - just change the names from Bella and Edward to Ana and Christian. SO NOT YOUR BOOK - the buyers/readers will be in for a great surprise!
    erica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I got so lucky, actually. I'm sure some, maybe most of the downloads and paperback sales are accidental. But, I couldn't ask for better exposure and it was FREE exposure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am one of those people who purchased your book from Amazon, thinking I was buying 50 Shades of Grey. I must say I was a bit surprised about 2 chapters into the book, realizing it was not what I thought it was going to be. Then I saw it was not the first in the series, so I immediately stopped reading it and purchased Color Me Grey so I could start from the beginning.

    I enjoyed Ms. Grey's adventures thoroughly and read all 3 books over the course of 2 days. I hope Alex has more stories to be shared with your fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so happy you liked the books! I feel badly for all the people who mistakenly bought mine. But then again, I'm hoping I find more people like you who actually give the books a chance and end up liking them.

      This turn of luck could be a good thing or a bad thing for me. Hopefully the majority of the people who accidentally bought mine like the story.

      Delete
  4. A interesting, wonderful reading. Glad I found your books anyway, want more. I'm a fan forever now. Thanks, rc

    ReplyDelete
  5. When is the next Grey novel going to be released? I'm addicted & wish that I knew what Alex is doing now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I came upon the Alex Stanton chronicles when I was buying 50 shades of grey. I read all 3 in 2 days. I loved them. I hope the next book comes out soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. R C, Anonymous and Anonymous,

    Thank you for letting me know you liked the books and that you want more. It means a lot and helps keep me motivated.

    I don't know when I'm going to be releasing #4 because I haven't finished writing it yet. I am working on it - just have to get a good story behind the characters.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I download your books because I was sure my 85yrs old Auntie couldn't have ment the erotic book, when she recommended a book call something grey or something like that. She said she couldn't put it down.I have read all three this week and must say I to love them .More please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry it took me so long to reply to your post.

      Please tell your auntie thank you for pointing you in my direction!

      I always love it when people write to let me know they enjoyed my books. I am up late to try and work on the 4th one right now - but I got side tracked trying to catch up on email and blog comments. :-)

      But - I'm back to it now!

      Delete
  9. I hunted for shades of grey on amazon and your book came up, I did realise it was not THE shades of grey, however it sounded good and had good reviews so I downloaded the whole series anyway and have loved reading them. So it may not be people downloading accidently, but just coming across the series accidentally. Can't wait for #4 :0) BTW still haven't downloaded THE shades of grey ...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really appreciate you giving my books a chance. I'm so happy to hear that you enjoyed the series. I know that probably most people who have downloaded my books know what they are buying, but there are some... I have the reviews to prove it. :-)

      I have yet to read the Fifty Shades of Grey trilogy but I've heard all kinds of good reviews about them from people I know personally.

      Delete
    2. I would not waste time or money on 50. I just got a copy of your book and I will read it soon. Are you still interested in feedback?

      Delete
    3. I'm always interested in feedback.

      Delete

Thank you for your comments.