Monday, September 19, 2011

Stuffed Bread Experiment

Okay - I have a "new" recipe for everyone today.  I'm quite proud of myself with this one.

This past Sunday I was able to sample something at church that I thought was absolutely wonderful.  When I asked about it, I was told what it was called and all I remember is that it started with an r.

I set out to duplicate it and didn't do too bad.  Because I can't remember the name of it nor did I follow any recipe I've decided to call this one Stuffed Bread.  Yeah, really imaginative, I know.

Here are some pictures of the finished product and then I will tell you what I did.

The first picture is the finished product right out of the oven.


The second picture is of the stuffed bread after I cut it.  I did get more than three pieces out of it, too.  They were just the prettiest and all that would fit on a plate.









Ingredients:
1 loaf of frozen bread dough (you could make dough from scratch if you were more ambitious than I was yesterday.)
Mozzarella cheese
Deli cut pastrami
Deli cut ham
Deli cut turkey
Seasoning salt (mine has salt, pepper, garlic salt and other stuff - you can use what you want)

What I did:
I let the frozen bread dough thaw and rise a little.  Then I punched it down and rolled it out into a rectangle.  I didn't roll it too thin and it might have been better (and bigger) had I rolled the dough out more.

Then I sprinkled my seasoning salt over the dough (just guessed at what would be a good amount).

Next, I layered the deli meats and cheese.  One layer meat, one layer shredded cheese, one layer meat. (you could use anything you want - I would think pepperoni, sausage, Canadian bacon, etc. would be really good, too and more pizzaish)

Then I folded the whole contraption in half and pinched the sides together.  I think if you used some egg on the dough it might help it to stick together better.  I didn't use it and it worked fine, but a light dusting of the egg on top should give it a prettier brown top.

After pinching the sides down I sprinkled the top with more seasoning salt and a little bit of the mozzarella cheese and put it all in the oven for thirty minutes at 350 degrees.

All in all I really liked the finished product but it would probably be better for a snack or lunch rather than supper.  However, you could serve the cut pieces with some spaghetti/pizza sauce and that would be really good, too.

4 comments:

  1. I love recipes like this that are not too labor intensive but look like a ton of effort! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds and looks delicious. I will try it and I love that your receipe is so umm flexible haha. I have read all your books and am ready for more, just in case you were wondering if people are wanting more. Lu Lu

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa - I love quick, easy and tasty recipes. The amount of clean up is a big thing for me too. I'm lazy that way. That's partly why I don't do a lot of pastry. I LOVE pastry but it's messy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lu Lu - It was delicious. In my previous comment I mentioned I liked quick, easy and tasty but I forgot to mention the flexible part. I love recipes that I can turn into something else with no effort. With this recipe I could easily add some tomato sauce and different meats for an entirely different taste or even put some fruit in there for a kind of tart. Of course, it wouldn't be a tart because that's pastry, but I bet it would be pretty good.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.