Friday, September 30, 2011

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie

I've noticed a spike in my traffic when I list recipes and post pictures of food, so I thought I'd just keep everyone up to date on what we had for dinner.

I found some Swai at Wal-Mart the other day (a white fish).  I've never heard of it before but it was reasonably priced so I thought we'd give it a shot.  I'm proud to say that it turned out pretty good.

I don't cook fish very often and because of that I really have no idea how to do it or what to serve with it.  I think I figured it out, though.  I'm sure this is someone's recipe but I didn't look anything up and just whipped this together.

Here's the recipe.

White fish filets (I used the Swai but cod or walleye would be great for this, too)
Minced garlic
Fresh dill
Butter
Lemon slices

All I did was thaw the fish and put it on tin foil on a cookie sheet.  Then I spread minced garlic over the top and sprinkled cut, fresh dill over that.  Then I put about three or four Tablespoons of butter on top of that.

I covered it with another piece of tin foil and put it into the oven on 350 degrees for fifteen minutes.  After the fifteen minutes was up I pulled the top layer of tin foil off, turned the oven up to 450 degrees and cooked it for another seven or eight minutes.

I served brussel sprouts with it and that was a perfect pairing.  I swear these brussel sprouts were the best I've ever made.  I boiled them as the package says and squeezed half a lemon into a bowl (probably a Tablespoon of juice) and added butter.  Then I drained the sprouts and added them to the butter/lemon mixture.  They were so good.

But, I have to say, the best part of the meal was...







Strawberry Rhubarb Pie! 

I cheated and bought Pilsbury already made pie crust and just added frozen strawberries, frozen rhubarb, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 2 Tablespoons of flour and 3 Tablespoons of butter.  I baked it on 425 for fifteen minutes and then turned the oven down to 350 and baked it for fifty (50) minutes.  I probably should have cooked it for 60 minutes, but it was still good.  Oh - I almost forgot.  I rubbed a little milk on the top crust and sprinkled it with sugar.  Large granules would have been prettier, but I don't have any.

2 comments:

  1. *Droooolllll* Love lemon and dill with fish and rhubarb pie is one of my absolute favorites - have to try your recipe! (And I always use Pillsbury pie crusts - so easy and so good!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pie was gone that same night. It was so good. It really hit the spot and so did the fish. I especially liked the brussel sprouts, though. They are best with lemon, I guess.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.