Sunday, September 4, 2011

Is it fall already?

I just wanted to stop in and let everyone know what's been going on in my neck of the woods lately.

I've been busy with everything except writing.  I find it very distressing, yet fulfilling.

My oldest started her first day of 6th grade.  My middle child is maybe, finally, grasping the concept of self control and my youngest is learning defiance.  I'm pretty sure I'm going to have my hands full for some time to come.  However, right now is what I'm focused on.

I think fall is the busiest time of the year.  School starts, we harvest all of our garden wares, start canning and generally start preparing for winter.

Summer has always been my favorite season and not much has changed, except I'm starting to appreciate each season for what it brings.  With fall, the overall feeling of accomplishment that comes with the season is something I never tire of.

This year we didn't get much from the garden.  I need to fertilize the patch of ground we've been using and then get some deer deterrent.  Either that or have venison all year round (stupid garden eating deer).  And yes, deer, I hope you are reading this.  We are all omnivores in this household and we don't mind venison.  I'm sure you'd taste like tomatoes, anyway (stupid garden eating deer).

As I've bragged before, my grapes did wonderfully this year.  I put off picking them until the last possible moment.  After returning from dropping my oldest off for her first day of school I saw at least fifteen Robins perched on my grape (stupid grape eating Robins).  Anyway, it was raining but there was no way I was going to sacrifice the grapes to the darned birds.  They have plenty of sunflower seeds to eat!  So, I hurriedly went inside and grabbed up my scissors and buckets and went to work.







This is what I managed to salvage after the birds had their way.  Much more than I anticipated, actually.  With the chokecherries we picked I ended up with a lot of jelly.  The grapes yielded more juice than I thought.  It's great.  However, the grape jelly didn't set up as I'd hoped, but it's still jelly and once refrigerated it thickens up nicely.  And, the most important part of the jelly - both kinds taste very good.








No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments.