Thursday, January 13, 2011

Recently Read - The Hunger Games

There are books that I will put down after a few pages and not feel one bit guilty for not finishing them.  There are books that I will read to the end and think, that was a chore, but at least I finished it.  There are books that when I finish I'm glad I read the book but forget it the next day.  Some books I'm glad I read and will think of them from time to time after I finish.  Then there are books that will stay with me forever.  Ones that I will think back on and relive in my head.  The kind I will read again and again.  The kind that make me cry simply for the fact that the book is over.

Now, I'm going to tell you what category The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins falls into for me.  I'd read all kinds of good reviews about this book and thought it might be a good one for my daughter so I bought it with our Christmas money - for her.  But then I gave in and tried it out.

The Hunger Games: Book 1

Simply put, The Hunger Games is one of those I will read again - and again.  I'm excited to start the second book in the series, Catching Fire.  I will admit I had some trouble with the tense the book is written in.  It struck me as odd from time to time and made me pause.  Something would make me stop for a split second with a feeling that I hadn't read it right.  However, I don't know if she mixes tenses or what was causing me to pause because I was instantly drawn back into the story.  It was so engaging I wasn't able to focus on what seemed strange, all I wanted to do was devour the next word.  Maybe it was the tense that made the book so immediate for me.  Before I knew it, I was pushing the next page button on my Kindle repeatedly only to discover the book was over.  The Hunger Games is easily one of the best books I've read in the past ten years.  I definitely recommend this one! 

 

5 comments:

  1. I just started this book last night. It's a gripping narrative, and I was already a fan of the dystopian genre, so I'm hooked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it! I was really impressed with the whole series!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. John - I think you'll enjoy it. I finished it in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lisa - I am reading People of the Mist right now but as soon as I finish I'm onto Catching Fire. I can hardly wait!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments.